Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Teachers: Mentors, Friends

by Gresa Shala

It seems that lately that we don’t give enough credit to our teachers for inspiring us, educating us to reach far and beyond. I know that many might disagree with this, might even dislike teachers; however, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I know I can name a couple of times when a teacher has helped me out in more than one way. I know a couple of teachers, that through these past years here at I.S.49, my life has altered because of them.

Yet, for all the work that teachers do; poring over books trying to get the right notes, writing up tests, lesson plans, and projects, willing to help every single day whether it’s during their lunch breaks, 37 ½ minutes, SES and Saturday programs, just so that we, us kids, could get an education, does anyone ever stop to just say ‘Thank you’?

“ Yea, it’s a lot harder then it looks,” says Ms.Conliffe 8th grade Social Studies and Literacy teacher. In an interview, Ms.Conliffe told how she was inspired to become a teacher by a teacher: her mother. “ Just seeing her work tirelessly all night and seeing how she got her students to make such progress is what motivated me,” said Ms.Conliffe about her mother, whom works at I.S. 51 as a Special Ed. and has been teaching for about 20 years. “ Being a teacher you have to like the people that you’re working with, you have to be willing to learn from your mistakes and other peoples’…. To learn to change, to adapt to all of your classes and be fair,” says Ms.Conliffe.

When asked what was one of the difficulties of teaching, Ms.Conliffe replied by saying “One of the most difficult aspect of teaching is when you’re working with students that don’t seem to value the importance of education.”

There are some highlights to teaching as well, Ms.Conliffe tells me as well. “ Last year, when I was walking to the store at the block, I hear someone calling “Ms.Conliffe!” she says. “It was a girl that I taught in a Special Ed. class six years ago, and that I helped get out of Special Ed. and into a regular class,” says Ms.Conliffe. “I was proud to learn that she was now in her second year of college and when she told me that it was because of my help all those years ago.”

I know that this generation of kids aren’t as polite or respectful as past generations and that sometimes teachers can become discouraged but hang on there because there are times when kid’s ignorance fades and knowledge sinks in.

So I would like to take the time now and speak on behalf of all the students that attend I.S. 49 and thank all the teachers that work here for all the little things as well as the big, your influence never stops and your aid will always be remember…. always.

No comments: